All diabetes medications advise to change your diet along with use of the drug. This brings me to my point that lifestyle changes should be the first line of defense against prediabetes and diabetes. The earlier everyone considers lifestyle changes as the ultimate alternative diabetes treatment, the earlier we can slow the progression of this unnecessary disease.
Realize it will take commitment and belief that you can reverse type 2 diabetes naturally. It can reduce and may even eliminate worrisome medication side effects.
- Create a health plan and write down your health goals. Most people spend more time planning a vacation. You may want to meet with your physician or diabetes coach to ensure your goals are clear and realistic. Always share your goals with your physician.
- Consume food that offers nutrition, not empty calories. Set a goal that no more than one-quarter of your plate is quality protein (grass-fed beef, wild salmon, organic chicken…). Over three-quarters of your plate should be filled with vegetables (fresh or frozen). Remember, corn is a grain, not a vegetable. Squeeze in a small amount of healthy carbohydrate such as quinoa, brown rice, or sweet potato.
- Eat until you are 80% full.
- Evaluate your breakfast. Are you eating a so-called “healthy” cereal? If so, I would reconsider. Cereal is not a food I suggest starting your day with. Most have more carbohydrates than you need, preservatives, and unnecessary sodium. Vitamins and minerals are synthetically added. Think about last night’s healthy dinner for breakfast, a green smoothie, or protein shake (chemical-free) with added greens, avocado, flax. Do you need coffee to start your day? If so, what goes in your coffee? Sugar? Artificial sweeteners (which are chemical based)?
- Find ways to reduce stress. It may be a twenty-minute walk, go to the gym, or learning to improve communication when issues arise. Jump back into your favorite hobby. Long-term, uncontrolled stress can contribute to increased glucose and cortisol levels.
Diabetes reversal coaching can be considered your alternative diabetes treatment rather than ‘managing’ with medication that may be unnecessary. Book your free 30-minute consultation to see if diabetes reversal coaching is for you.